What I’m Reading – August 21 2013
I returned the cable box today – we are free. No TV. It’ll take some getting used to, but I have high hopes that we won’t just end up watching things on Netflix streaming every night. I’m only 15 books away from my first full Cannonball. There is much to do!
Speaking of things to do, why not check these out:
– Oh look: the policies of the NYPD don’t appear to be having an impact on crime. Shocking. SHOCKING: Bloomberg and Kelly Aren’t Going to Like the Latest Research on Stop-and-Frisk (via @NYMag)
– Hey! Management training guides perpetuating the idea that women are responsible for getting creepy men to stop being creepy to them: Manager Training Guide Blames Women For Coworkers Who Come On To Them (via @ThinkProgress)
– Go New Mexico! New Mexico County Clerk Begins Issuing Marriage Licenses To Same-Sex Couples (via @ThinkProgress)
– You know what they say – don’t ask the question if you don’t want to know the answer… Exclusive: Results of Congressional ‘Fishing Expedition’ Show Abortion Is Already Highly Regulated, Overwhelmingly Safe (h/t @laurenrankin)
– Well this is terrifying: Astronaut recounts near-drowning on spacewalk, says he felt all alone, felt like eternity (h/t @UNIXSA)
– UGH: Churchgoers Defend St. Louis Priest Accused of Sex Abuse, Pray in Private Meetup Group (h/t @rebeccawatson)
– This article. THIS ARTICLE. So good. Thin Women: I’ve Got Your Back. Could You Get Mine?
Finally, the last video in the Tropes vs. Women in Video Games ‘Damsel in Distress’ collection: