What I’m Reading – September 2 2013
I hope you all had a great long weekend. Here are some of the stories I’ve been following when I wasn’t out celebrating Angie and Dave’s wedding!
– Perhaps you’ve heard of the rapist who got only 30 days after the girl ended up committing suicide? The Myth of the Teenage Temptress: or Why a Young Girl Can Not Consent to Sex with an Adult Man (h/t @AngryBlackLady)
– NYPD making bad decisions again: Muslim Teens Allegedly Beaten By NYPD In Bronx Park; Claims Made That Hijabs Ripped Off (h/t @Dr.JaneChi)
– I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but man, the level of disrespect: Teaching Naked, Part 1 (h/t @jenebbeler)
– Another take on consent: Acting Older Isn’t Being Older: How We Fail Young Rape Victims (via @JessicaValenti)
– Check out this ridiculousness from the 50s: If a Woman Needs It, Should She Be Spanked? (h/t @Schemaly)
– A 64-year-old woman accomplished something amazing athletically, but the media ignored it: The Uncommon Beauty of Diana Nyad, and the Relentless Corporate and Media Censorship of Real Beauty